Monday, July 26, 2010

not much





So not much has happened recently with the model. I finished painting all the roads grey, and I also finished putting in most of the sidewalks. There are still driveways and parking lots that need to be put in, but I would rather building those around the buildings than make the buildings around the parking lot. If I had to warp the shape of something, I would rather it be a parking lot than a building.

Speaking of buildings (have I used the word "building" enough? here, I will do it one more time... "building"), I did something dumb. It isn't as dumb as the time that I didn't have white sand to mix with the black sand, so I glued sugar to my model, and not quite as dumb not water proofing my model well enough before pouring the modeling water onto wet paint, but still pretty dumb. After making the first 3 buildings of many, I decided to see just how many "many" really is. Turns out, my model is going to have about 1,627 buildings on it. Maybe I will make "buildings" the word of the day. Any Peewee Herman fast out there? Any fans at all beside my mother, girlfriend, and Jake? Who are you, anyway, Jake?

So today I am going to try to make a few more complicated buildings (word of the day: ahhhh!) and I'll time myself to estimate how long the rest of this model will take… that is this thunderstorm ever stops and the power comes back on). I’m going to make the complicated houses as my test ones because I’m going to assume that it is a good average between a house with four walls and a roof (simple) and the shopping center with a dozen stores (complicated). I counted both of those examples as one building (ahhh!). Granted there are more houses than shopping malls (thank goodness), so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised by how fast the model goes. That would be nice.

Enjoy the photos.

PS: I feel sortta bad because my model looks nearly as done as it ever will when it's seen as a whole. The only difference between what it looks like now and what it will look like in 2 years is that the frames will be painted white (next weekend), there will be a pond or two and a river, and over a thousand buildings smaller than a monopoly house. The houses won't add much as a whole, and my camera is really terrible at photographing small things. Perhaps I'll get a new camera around the holidays. Mine was bottom of the line and being discontinued when I got it in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment